There are countless ways to decorate your living room walls, from gallery walls to statement pieces. One popular trend is creating a gallery wall, a curated art collection, photographs, and other decorative items. Another option is to incorporate a statement piece, such as a large-scale painting or tapestry, to serve as a focal point for the room.
The right wall decor can bring color, texture, and personality to your space, making it more inviting and complete. So whether you’re working with a blank canvas or looking to refresh your current decor, we’ve compiled a list of living room wall decor ideas to inspire your next project.
When choosing wall decor for your living room, it’s important to consider the space’s overall style and color scheme. You want your wall decor to complement the rest of your decor rather than clash with it. Additionally, consider the size and scale of your wall decor – you don’t want it to be too small or too large for the space. With these considerations, let’s explore some of our favorite living room wall decor ideas.
If you want to add visual interest to your living room walls, a gallery wall is a great option. This type of wall decor involves grouping a collection of art pieces or photographs in a cohesive and visually appealing way.
One way to create a gallery wall is to choose a theme or color scheme for your artwork. For example, you could create a gallery wall featuring black and white photographs or a collection of abstract paintings in similar colors. This will help tie the pieces together and create a cohesive look.
When it comes to arranging your gallery wall, there are different approaches you can take. Some prefer a more symmetrical layout, with all the pieces arranged in a grid or other geometric pattern. Others prefer a more organic approach, with pieces arranged more haphazardly.
One popular way to create a gallery wall is to start with a larger artwork or photograph in the center and then arrange smaller pieces around it, creating a focal point for the wall and helping tie everything together.
Decorating your living room walls with art is an absolutely amazing way to add personality and style to your space. Whether you prefer traditional paintings or modern prints, there are many options. Here are a few ideas:
- Gallery Walls: Create a gallery wall by hanging a collection of framed art pieces in various sizes and shapes. Mix and match different styles and colors to create a unique display.
- Large Statement Piece: Hang a large statement piece, such as a colorful painting or a dramatic photograph, to make a bold statement in your living room.
- Wall Sculptures: Add dimension to your walls with a sculptural piece. Whether a metal wall is hanging or a carved wood panel, a wall sculpture can add texture and interest to your space.
When selecting art for your living room walls, think about the color scheme of your space and choose pieces that complement your existing decor. Mix and match different styles and mediums to create a unique look.
Adding an accent wall is a good way to bring personality and style to your living room. It’s a simple and affordable way to make a big impact without committing to a full room makeover. Here are some accent wall ideas to consider:
- Bold color: Painting one wall with a bold color can create a striking focal point in your living room. Choose a color that complements your existing decor and furniture, or use a bold contrast to make the wall stand out.
- Wallpaper: Wallpaper is a versatile option for creating an accent wall. You can choose from patterns and textures to suit your style, whether you prefer a subtle geometric print or a bold floral design.
- Gallery wall: A gallery wall is a great way to showcase your favorite art and photographs. Choose a wall in your living room and hang a collection of frames in different sizes and styles. Mix and match frames for a beautiful look, or keep them together for a more cohesive feel.
- Wood paneling: Wood paneling adds warmth and texture to your living room. You can choose from various finishes, rustic to modern, to create your desired look. And if you’re feeling handy, you can install the paneling yourself.
There are many other options for accent walls, from textured paint to stone veneer. The key is choosing something that reflects your style and complements your decor. With creativity and imagination, you can transform your living room with a stunning accent wall.
One of the most versatile and popular living room wall decor ideas is to use mirrors, according to Homes and Gardens. Mirrors can add depth, brightness, and style to any living room. Here are a few ways to incorporate mirrors into your living room decor:
Large Decorative Mirrors
Large decorative mirrors can be a stunning focal point in any living room. A large mirror can create the illusion of more space and light, making a small or dark living room feel brighter and more open. You can hang a large mirror on the wall or lean it against it for a more casual look. Choose a frame matching your living room decor or a statement piece with a bold or unique frame.
Mirrored Wall Panels
Mirrored wall panels are a modern and stylish way to add depth and texture to your living room walls. I have one of these panels, which can create a feature wall and add accents to other walls. Mirrored wall panels come in various shapes and sizes, from small squares to large rectangles. You can arrange them in a pattern or create a random design for a unique, eye-catching look.
Mirrored shelves are a practical and stylish way to add storage and display space to your living room walls. These shelves can be used to display decorative objects or to store books, magazines, and other items. Mirrored shelves come in various sizes and styles, from simple and modern to ornate and traditional. Choose a style that matches your living room decor and use the shelves to create a functional and stylish display.
Shelves and Ledges
Shelves and ledges are a versatile and practical way to decorate your living room walls. They provide ample space to display decorative items, books, and knick-knacks. Here are some ideas to get you started:
Floating shelves are a popular choice for modern living rooms. They are easy to install and provide a sleek, minimalist look. You can use them to display artwork, plants, and other decorative items. Consider painting them in a contrasting color to make them stand out.
Picture ledges are a great way to display your favorite photos and artwork. They are easy to install and can be arranged in various ways. You can also use them to display small plants, candles, and other decorative items.
Consider adding corner shelves if you have a corner in your living room that needs sprucing. They provide a unique way to display decorative items and can be used to store books and other items. To match your decor, you can choose from various materials, such as metal, glass, or wood.
Consider installing built-in shelves to make a statement with your living room walls. They provide a custom look and can be used to display various items. You can also use them to store books, magazines, and other items. For example, consider adding lighting to highlight your favorite items.
Wallpaper is a great way to add texture and dimension to your living room walls. From bold patterns to subtle textures, there are endless options. Here are a few wallpaper ideas to consider for your living room:
- Floral wallpaper: Add a touch of nature to your living room with floral wallpaper. Choose from a variety of colors and sizes to fit your style.
- Geometric wallpaper: If you want a modern touch, consider a geometric wallpaper. This type of wallpaper can add color and interest to your living room walls.
- Textured wallpaper: For a more subtle look, consider a textured wallpaper. This type of wallpaper can add depth and warmth to your living room walls.
When choosing wallpaper for your living room, it’s important to consider the size of the room and the furniture you have. A larger pattern may overwhelm a small living room, while a smaller pattern may get lost in a larger room. Additionally, consider the color scheme of your living room and choose a wallpaper that complements it.
Wallpaper can be more difficult to install than paint, so hiring a professional is important if you’re uncomfortable doing it yourself. However, the result can be well worth the effort.
Lighting is an essential element of any living room decor. It can create a warm and inviting atmosphere, highlight artwork or architectural features, and provide functional illumination for reading or other activities. Here are a few ideas for incorporating lighting into your living room wall decor:
- Wall Sconces: Wall sconces are a great way to add ambient lighting to your living room while creating a decorative focal point. They come in various styles and finishes, from sleek and modern to ornate and traditional.
- Picture Lights: If you have artwork or photographs on your living room walls, consider installing picture lights to highlight them. Picture lights are small, adjustable fixtures that attach to the top of the frame and shine a focused beam of light on the artwork.
- Recessed Lighting: Recessed lighting is popular for living rooms because it provides even, unobtrusive illumination. It can highlight architectural features or create a soft, ambient glow throughout the room.
- Table Lamps: Table lamps are versatile and can add style and function to your living room. They come in various sizes, shapes, and styles, from sleek and modern to ornate and traditional.
Consider the overall style and mood you want to create when choosing a light for your living room. Warm, soft lighting may be the best choice if you’re going for a cozy, intimate atmosphere. However, brighter, more focused lighting may be more appropriate to highlight artwork or architectural features.