One option is to clean out the jar and use it for storage. Clear glass jars are especially useful for separating and organizing small items like buttons, beads, or spices. Alternatively, the jars can be decorated into stylish planters or vases. With a little creativity, the possibilities are endless. There are many creative and practical ways to repurpose old candle jars.
Cleaning and Preparing the Jars
Before reusing old candle jars, cleaning and preparing them properly is important. Here are some tips:
- Freeze the jar: Placing it in the freezer for a few hours will harden the wax and make it easier to remove, according to Architectural Digest.
- Remove the wax: Use a knife or spoon to scrap it from the jar once it is hardened. Be careful not to scratch the glass.
- Clean the jar: Wash the jar with hot, soapy water to remove any remaining wax residue. You can also use rubbing alcohol or vinegar to remove stubborn stains.
- Remove the label: If the candle jar has a label, soak it in hot water for a few minutes to loosen the glue. Then, use a scraper or your fingernail to peel off the label. If any residue is left, use rubbing alcohol or vinegar to remove it.
- Dry the jar: Ensure it is completely dry before reusing it. You can let it air dry or use a clean towel to dry it off.
Once the jar is clean and dry, you can reuse it for various purposes. From storing small items to creating decorative pieces, the possibilities are endless.
Old candle jars can be repurposed in many creative ways. Here are some ideas:
Candle Jar Storage
One of the simplest ways to repurpose old candle jars is to use them for storage. For example, they can store small items like paper clips, hair ties, and buttons. To make the jars more organized, they can be labeled and placed on a shelf or in a drawer.
Create a Mini Terrarium
Old candle jars can also be used as material for mini terrariums. Based on experience, they can be filled with soil and flowers. The jars can be painted or decorated with stickers to add a personal touch. Here’s how:
- Clean the candle jar thoroughly to remove any wax residue. You can use soap and water or rubbing alcohol to clean the jar.
- Place a layer of small rocks or pebbles on the bottom of the jar. This will provide drainage for excess water.
- Add a layer of activated charcoal on top of the rocks. This helps absorb any excess moisture and keeps the terrarium fresh.
- Add a layer of potting soil on top of the charcoal.
- Plant your small plants or succulents in the soil. Be sure to space them out evenly and avoid overcrowding.
- Add any decorative items, such as small figurines or stones.
- Water the plants lightly and place the lid on the jar to create a humid environment.
- Place the terrarium in a bright, indirect light location and avoid direct sunlight.
- Water the plants as needed, being careful not to overwater.
Old candle jars can also be transformed into decorative items that add charm to your home decor. Here are some ideas:
- Centerpiece: Use multiple candle jars of different sizes to create a stunning centerpiece for your dining or coffee table. Fill them with items like flowers, candles, or decorative stones.
- Lanterns: Turn old candle jars into lanterns by adding decorative rope or twine around the top. Place a small candle or a battery-operated LED light inside for a cozy and warm atmosphere.
- Terrariums: Add soil, small plants, and decorative stones to create a mini terrarium inside the candle jar. This is a great way to bring some greenery into your home.
- Snow Globes: Use the candle jar to make a DIY snow globe. Fill the jar with water, add glitter and small figurines, and glue the lid to create a fun and unique decoration.
- Painted Jars: Paint the candle jars with acrylic or spray paint to create a unique and colorful decoration. You can use stencils or tape to create patterns or designs.
- Decorative Storage: Use the candle jars to store small decorative items like shells, stones, or marbles. This is a great way to add texture and interest to your decor while organizing your items.
- Photo Display: Use the candle jars to display small photos or postcards. Place the photos inside the jar and add decorative stones or beads to create a unique and personalized display.
Old candle jars can store bathroom items like cotton balls, q-tips, and makeup brushes and can be labeled and placed on a shelf or in a drawer. Here are some creative ideas:
- Toothbrush holder: Clean the jar thoroughly and remove any labels. Fill the jar with beads, sand, or decorative stones, and place your toothbrushes inside.
- A cotton ball and swab holder: This project uses a tall candle jar. Fill it with cotton balls or swabs, and place the lid on top. You can also decorate the jar with paint, stickers, or ribbon to match your bathroom decor.
- Soap dispenser: Clean the jar and remove the label. Purchase a soap dispenser pump at a craft store and insert it into the jar lid. Fill the jar with liquid soap and screw on the lid.
- Q-tip holder: Fill a small jar with Q-tips and place the lid on top. You can also decorate the jar with paint or washi tape.
- Plant holder: Create a mini indoor garden by filling the jar with soil and adding a small plant. Make sure to poke holes in the bottom of the jar for drainage.
Office and Craft Organization
Old candle jars can organize office and craft supplies like pens, pencils, and scissors. They can be labeled and placed on a desk or in a drawer.
Kitchen Storage and Organization
Old candle jars can store kitchen items like spices, tea bags, and sugar packets and be labeled and placed on a shelf or in a drawer.